- If you have signed up for a ride, or indicated you intend to ride, be on time.
If for some reason you are going to be late or not
show up at all, let the trail guide (or someone) know.
the first mile out and the LAST mile in.** Let the horses calm down and get used
to their surroundings and other horses.
courteous and aware of other riders in the group. Do not make loud noises.
- When riding on
a trail that is wide enough to ride side by side, stay on one side or the other. Don't move back and forth, left or right, unless the trail dictates you do so.
- Check your tack-saddle,
bridle and any other equipment before you leave home. Try new or different
tack at home before going on the trail to
make sure it fits you and/or the horse properly. If you have equipment problems on the trail, fix it as soon as you get back to camp.
prepared for conditions. If you know that the trail you are going on is rocky, have your horse
shod or wear boots. There is no reason to have your horse's hooves messed up to save a few bucks.
- Keep up, but if you feel the trail guide is going faster than you can ride, let the
trail guide know if you need to stop.
- Do not run upon or through the
group. If you want to run, get off to the side of the trail, if possible. If not, work your way to the front and let the trail guide know what you are going to do.
- When going thru a gate, wait for the rider closing the gate to get the gate
closed. His/her horse may be anxious about being left behind.
- If you need to return to camp, let the trail guide know so he/she won't go looking
for you when they realize someone is missing.
- If passing a horse on the trail moving in the same direction as you, let the rider and horse know you are
approaching by saying, "Trail please" or "On your right (or left) whichever side you are passing on.
- If you horse kicks, put a red ribbon on its tail
- Stop to assist other riders in need. Remember, it may be you someday.
care of your horse after riding. Check legs, hooves and back and make sure he/she has plenty of water.